Recirculation - Billund Aquakulturservice A/S
Recirculation - Advantages & Disadvantages
- Low water requirement - can utilize small water sources and/or be connected to the public water supply
- The system can achieve optimal temperature and enables optimal and stable production all year round, independent of seasonal variation, this makes the production predictable for all 365 days
- The required area for a given production is relative small, because a very high density and a high growth rate is possible in the controlled environment
- Reduced risk of diseases, all incoming water is disinfected in addition to UV disinfection inside the farm
- Optimal and stable production secure high and stable quality of the fish
- Control and traceability
- The incoming water can be treated to achieve the desired quality.
- The effluent can be reduced to a minimum, and therefore be controlled.
- Sludge from the system can be treated to produce an odour free fertiliser with desired dry matter content
- The system is relatively advanced, and is dependent upon a regular power supply. It requires an emergency power generator and a security system which is in function at any time.
- The system requires special competence and needs a highly qualified work force
- The system is relatively expensive to set up, and requires a minimum production capacity for an economical operation. Can only be used for high valuable fish species with a relative high price.